Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My chance to meet Richard Roberts

Since Richard Roberts has been in the news so much recently, I thought I'd tell my story of meeting him. I went to Oral Roberts University for two-and-a-half years. One time our wing of the dorm got together with our sister wing and invited Richard Roberts to speak with us. That was around the time he was getting divorced from Patti and marrying Lindsey, and I wasn't very impressed with him. Worse than his marital issues, though, was the fact that he went to his father's university and DROPPED OUT. He couldn't even finish school when everything was free. Instead he quit and went to work for his father. For this I had no respect for Richard. Oral dropped out of college but that was during the Depression. He then went and started up his ministry on his own, which I respect (ignoring for now the phony faith-healing, seed-faith, and the like). Oral unfortunately got soft with Richard, though, and let him drop out.

Anyhow, Richard came to speak with us. We were all together in the room and whoever was leading things told us to all tickle each other. There were lots of strange spiritual experiences like that at ORU. The nearest person to me was unfortunately Richard Roberts. I thought for a second and then decided that I'm going to tickle him, because he'll have to put up with it. I didn't do it for long because I wasn't otherwise interested in tickling a guy, but I'm glad I got to annoy him a little bit that night.

No comments: